Monday, September 6, 2010

Adios


     All of us cowgirls from Little Remuda/Robertson Ranch got together at Mazatlan Restaurant for dinner on Friday after work. Fran had arranged it as a sort of an "Adios" party for me since I am leaving for Arizona soon. We had a great Mexican food, which I love, a wonderfully yummy red velvet chocolate cake and a good time laughing and recalling a lot of the crazy things that have happened over the past three years. I even received a picture of Billy and I in a western frame. Thanks so much, Fran, for all that you have generously done for me. I have learned so much from you. What I accomplished in riding is a real high point in my life.

     My balance is still so bad that I haven't been riding the past month or so. It is like my gyroscope is all messed up. Balance needs to be almost perfect to ride performance horses because the least little pressure from your leg or on the reins is a signal for them to move over, turn or change speed. I haven't been able to lope a straight line since I got clobbered. When I try to move fast getting work done around the house I bump into things. I fell hustling up the porch steps last night. Makes me feel like such a klutz. At least I can blame it on a concussion and not getting older!

     I have been doing ground training with the two one year old fillys, Twister and Chili. They are really smart young horses and have gone from barely being led by a halter and startling at every little thing to now calmly allowing splint boots and a surcingle (a wide belt with rings on it) with a crupper( a piece if leather that goes under the tail and is attached to the surcingle or a saddle)  be placed on them.  The last few times that I worked them, they did great with a bridle and bit placed in their mouths and then reins tied back to teach them to trot and lope with their heads down. It has been different than riding and competition but very satisfying to me to see them make such progress. I am hoping that things work out next year for me to do ground training with the foals that were born this past spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment