Friday, December 3, 2010

First Week of December

     Here we are in December and our weather is finally warming up again. We had the coldest Thanksgiving season here in Mesa since 1933. It was below freezing one night and people were warned to wrap up their plants and bring in the pets. Yesterday the weather broke and though it is still cool( 40s) at night it will be mid 70s during the days. That makes me smile again.:-) It is now 10:00 AM and the thermometer outside the window reads 56*F.  All last week I was saying, "I could have stayed home for this." We have a high thin layer of cloud today but it is supposed to get up to 76*F.

     Last night we went to Barleen's Arizona Opry for their their dinner and Christmas show. I was expecting something kind of corny on the order of Lawrence Welk, but it turned out to be really good entertainment. The show was almost two hours long with an intermission. The Master of ceremonies and main singer was the lead singer for the Tokens who recorded "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" back in the 50s. I always wonder what happened to people who made a big hit and this fellow kept on with his career in music and has done very well. His voice is still as good as it was when he was young.

     I have been able to get going on some quilting projects and meet with other quilting friends to "play with fabric" at least two mornings a week. Tom is playing on the softball team. They have won two and lost one game. Tom reconnected with several friends from high school last year at the 50 year celebration of the founding of his high school, Centennial, in Gresham, Oregon. He has gotten to golf with some of these friends three times since we arrived as some very nice courses. Tom and I took the training to be "Rangers" in the park. We help people find their sites and get settled when they arrive. Help them get oriented to the park, locate the post office, understand the garbage and recycle pick up, and tell them about upcoming activities for that week. Of course I am just doing it because they give us a cool hat and let us drive around in a golf cart! Pictures will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment